gabriel rosenkoetter on 15 Nov 2007 06:44:43 -0000

Re: [PLUG] On-site fire/water proof backup

At 2007-11-14 15:32 -0500, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> From the blurb it seems like these use 2.5" USB powered drives with
> only 160G.  But interesting.  Mine is not water-proof...
> http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/ces-preview-2008/sentrysafe-fireproof-waterproof-usb-hdd-housings-save-your-data-not-you-from-armageddon-322405.php
> http://www.sentrysafe.com/index.aspx

Three things occur to me:

1. If you're the sort of person who actually cares this much about
your data, you're probably already doing backups in some removable
way, and you could spend a lot less money and time redesigning your
backup strategy if you just bought a fire-resistant (this is NOT
-proof, see below) and air-tight safe.

2. These survive a fire for 30 minutes? Really? Congratualtions, so
would my *stove*. That's a nice warm-n-fuzzy, but if the building
burns to the ground, this gets good and fried too. And what happens
when the building caves in and the safe with formerly spinning disks
(with heads that will crash promptly when it) falls three stories?
I'll stick with a firesafe in the basement with a longer exposure
period guarantee and plain ol' tape media, thanks.

3. "From Armageddon"? Really, c'mon. If that's the context, I'm
pretty sure I don't give a damn about backups of my home
directories. I kid, a bit, but before buying a product like this one
should actually do a threat analysis. I'm sure you could buy tornado
insurance in the Philly area if you fought hard enough to do so, but
is it actually reasonable to do so?

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net