kamiza103 on 24 Nov 2007 16:46:55 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Entering extended characters in Linux

What I do is press Ctrl-Shift to switch to Japanese mode.  Then I just type two or three letters to form one kana character.  At that point I can press the space bar for other conversion options or just press enter to commit.  This can be done for entire sentences.  In the case in which I want a small character, for example, I can press "x" before the character sequence.

I'm sure that is a lot more typing than you would need.  Actually, I'd like to be able to enter simple characters like the British pound sign and the accented "e" in Pokemon.  heh

Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
On Friday, 23 November 2007 16:21, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> My ideal layout would be level3 on scroll lock and compose on
> pause/break, since those keys are both completely useless.  There's no easy
> way to set this, though.

I use xmodmap at home. This one line script sets the "windows key" as the
compose key. I run it everytime X starts.

xmodmap -e "keysym Super_L = Multi_key

Here's a nice article on how to do it

http://process-of-elimination.net/index.php?title=Means_of_Composing_Accented_Characters_in_X_Window_System

I'm going to try your suggestions at work monday. Thanks

Art Alexion

PGP fingerprint: 52A4 B10C AA73 096F A661 92D2 3B65 8EAC ACC5 BA7A
Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm. Info @

New Design Yahoo! JAPAN 2008/01/01