Doug Crompton on 25 Nov 2007 23:20:47 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Verizon port blocking?

Just an update on the problem...  It turned out to be two things. One the
static IP selected for the DVR was not an allowed address. It was in some
(not DHCP) resereved range and second the DVR's gateway address was not
set properly.

I still think that the westel stuff sucks after using a Buffalo but it is
not mine and it is working. Looking over the posts in some of the forums
it seems many have port forward issues.

Thanks for the ideas though...

I personally am lucky to have DCAnet DSL supplied by Verizon and it is
static and totally open and works great. Unfortunately most third party
providers, including DCAnet are no longer accepting new accounts. FIOS and
Comcast will have it all locked up in the future!!

I don't know why providers like Verizon and Comcast cannot supply a static
IP based on the MAC address. Each user needs an IP anyhow so how does DHCP
same any IP's. Besides I would think it would be easier to keep track of
things.

Doug

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Brent Saner wrote:

> you know, now that you mention it i think it might be something in the
> actual modems. i haven't portscanned where that server is recently, but
> the've switched to a motorola recently instead of the rebranded rca comcast
> gave 'em... i think it's in the hardware. i know it's not the router (why
> WOULD it be?) but it's rather possible comcast could have slipped something
> into the RCA firmware to the cable modems they distributed....
>
> curioser and curioser!
>
> On Nov 25, 2007 4:02 PM, Brian Vagnoni <bvagnoni@v-system.net> wrote:
>
> >  The mail server sits behind a Sonicwall 1260 Pro, and my Comcast modem is
> > a Moto Surfboard SB120 bridge.
> >

> --
> Brent Saner
> 215.264.0112(cell)
> 215.362.7696(residence)
>
> http://www.thenotebookarmy.org
>
> Bill Gates is to hacking as Sid Vicious was to the Sex Pistols: no talent,
> everyone hates him, and he's just in it for the fame and money.

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *