Matthew Rosewarne on 4 Dec 2007 18:09:29 -0000

Re: [PLUG] hardware - a deal I couldn't refuse

On Tuesday 04 December 2007, Art Alexion wrote:
> So why is it surprising that someone who wants to *sell* desktop Linux
> would want to spend time and money to develop bling?
>
> Remember, this isn't being sold to server administrators.

While I run Linux exclusively, and have set up others (who are NOT
strongly-technical users) to do the same, I find the idea of trying to sell
desktop Linux to the "consumer"/small-business market fairly pointless at the
moment.  The only people who really are that interested in desktop Linux
appear to be individual hobbyists, larger businesses, and governments.  The
hobbyists aren't going to buy anything, so the system administrators of those
larger organisations are indeed the primary target audience.  As far as I'm
aware, very few large organisations care at all about 3D desktop effects, and
would much rather have other areas improved, such as authentication or
configuration.