Eric on 5 Dec 2007 03:33:42 -0000

[PLUG] Wireless access - from a security expert

This parallels an older discussion here on the PLUG list:

I just read this in the Freakenomics blog:

Q: Is there any benefit to password protecting your home Wifi network? I have IT
friends that say the only real benefit is that multiple users can slow down the
connection, but they state that there is no security reason. Is this correct?

A: I run an open wireless network at home. There’s no password, and there’s no
encryption. Honestly, I think it’s just polite. Why should I care if someone on
the block steals wireless access from me? When my wireless router broke last
month, I used a neighbor’s access until I replaced it.

Of course it's interesting because the answer is from Bruce Schneier.
The entire discussion is here:
http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/04/bruce-schneier-blazes-through-your-questions/

It's an interesting read.

Eric