Brent Saner on 10 Dec 2007 11:46:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Wireless access - from a security expert

  • From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Wireless access - from a security expert
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 06:45:47 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=JQF8mEcqXSf0XfTNbOrUFlaXPFA0uoND9NOluQCtzWU=; b=xM9QMIp1mCnoeK4S3T90GPTuChB0CRW3E6oXko7vjhyVpeSUsugSIk0W/ph8DbRQFotPDh/VARfjHnkVTV+xs75LoPWFHRXuN5t+m4DRsM8cwuMgL6Nw7tUuJqLLe07FAktL0zL6o7Aqtee60Co0CjmTa0WSnUNWTWpQZLPQcHQ=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

the key difference here is we aren't hosting our own servers on his network, thus sucking up all his bandwidth.
connecting to a website hosted in japan and making long-distance calls to japan are very, very different things, especially in the price area.

trust me, i'm all about security- i was just relating to some people that when i wipe i hard drive, i first do a write completely with random data, then completely with zeros, and THEN i do 20 passes for the wipe. at least. no, i'm not exaggerating. but at the same time, i believe in sharing. if it's not time-efficient to share your wireless, then don't- but. BUT. if you have the time and means to set up a secured open point (audits take a long time to really plan out), then by all means do so.

i'm hesitant with setting up open wi-fi with OTHERS, though, because they'd do foolish things like share their entire root directory. to everyone on the network. with rwx access.

i think the key thing here is education. if you're EDUCATED, then by all means you should share and encourage the use of your network.

the biggest security hole is not in the software, it's in the wetware.