Art Alexion on 14 Dec 2007 19:30:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] AV software for Linux (sudo)

On Friday 14 December 2007 13:53:53 JP Vossen wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:13:06 -0500
> > From: "Steve Morgan" <stevem.firefly@gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [PLUG] AV software for Linux
> >
> > No, still use sudo.  You can set up the sudoers file in two different
> > ways:  A) the user can type in sudo <command> and it gets executed
> > right away (like how it is set up default in Ubuntu), or B) the user
> > can type in sudo <command> and it will prompt for their own password
> > before execution.  The theoretical virii will have no idea what the
> > user's own password is and therefore would not be able to execute the
> > command.  Do indeed use sudo, but have it require their password to
> > execute anything when attempting to execute a command with sudo.
>
> I'm not sure if the OP is interested in this granularity, but FYI you
> can also set up the sudoers file to:
> 	* Only allow certain users to sudo
> 	* Only allow certain users to sudo using certain commands
> 	* Many combinations and variations of the above
>
> 'man sudoers' has the details, which I admit look a little hairy at
> first glance.  It's actually easier than it looks (kinda), and there are
> lots of examples on the 'Net.
>
> Having said all of that, one of the tricky things with trying to
> restrict users is that many tools have a way to "shell out" and get a
> command prompt.  So if I do not allow you to sudo foo, but I do allow
> you to sudo vi, you can sudo vi, shell out and run foo anyway.  This is
> probably starting to get out-of-scope, but just in case.  Sudo is a
> GREAT tool, but doing more than a binary root/not-root isn't trivial.

My concern is this.  The only way I would use sudo on the floor of an
enterprise with not-to-be-trusted users is if it required a root/not user
password.  I don't want regular users doing ANYTHING requiring root
permission.  I do want to be able to run root tasks on their machines without
having to log in myself or a root login with a separate root password.