brent saner on 17 Dec 2007 13:48:46 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Procuring Portable Penguin Power while pinching pennies?

Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> You'll probably have an easier time with NX.  X11 forwarding is awesome, but
> becomes painful on slow links.  It would also not possible to "mirror" her
> screen remotely without using something like x11vnc over ssh.  Having used
> all of these methods, I've found NX to be by far the fastest and easiest to
> work with.
>
> I use the NoMachine packages, since FreeNX only comes as a tarball.  They are
> capped at one user, but that's fine for remote troubleshooting.
> http://www.nomachine.com/download-package.php?Prod_Id=5

i also use nomachine's packages. while proprietary, they're much more cross-platform friendly so it lets me connect to the NX server regardless of which OS, distro, or package i'm using.

i normally don't even use X when i'm repairing something; i'd rather
just stick to the commandline. but yes, nomachine has been a lifesaver
when you need it. i still don't know how they keep it so fast.
> I do this with my desktop machine using ddclient, which is on startup and from
> cron.  What I find to usually be more of a problem is the settings on the
> router (if you have one).  Since at least my router forwards ports by IP, the
> occasional DHCP change will break everything, requiring me to update the
> rules for the new local IP.

IIRC, i was told just the other day that ddclient works for both dyndns
and no-ip. but yes, the router is then the biggest problem there.
> I've not heard of that trick...  It would need to be initiated from her end
> though.

just got the tip today from savetheWorld on ##linux. he didn't know a
whole lot of details, though. just that you can use netcat as a repeater
for anything. doesn't surprise me. you might actually want to check into
socat, which is, from its documentation, "netcat++"..
well, if you're the one setting up the OS install, anyways... ;) it
wouldn't be that hard to have a script tied to an icon on her desktop
that would start nc to connect to a listener you'd have running.

--
Brent Saner
215.264.0112(cell)

http://www.thenotebookarmy.org

Bill Gates is to hacking as Sid Vicious was to the Sex Pistols: no talent, everyone hates him, and he's just in it for the fame and money.