Andrew Libby on 19 Dec 2007 08:37:12 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Pros and cons of swap in a partition vs. in a file in the file system

I would imagine there is a slight performance penalty for filesystem
overhead
with a swap file.  In the past I've attempted to size adequately with
partitions.
When that falls short, I'll add swap using files in a pinch.  Sometimes
that pinch
turns out to be permanent.  I recall that someone once said it was
around 5%, but
I don't have anything concrete to go on.

In the situations when I've used it the alternative was way less
attractive than
even a significant performance hit.

Andy