K.S. Bhaskar on 19 Dec 2007 13:42:27 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Pros and cons of swap in a partition vs. in a file in the file system

On Dec 19, 2007 4:29 PM, Matthew Rosewarne <mrosewarne@inoutbox.com> wrote:

[KSB] <...snip...>

> For a desktop or laptop system, I would recommend having the same amount of
> swap as you have RAM, and putting the swap on either a partition or LV.  That
> way, you can ensure that you can suspend to disk, and even if you upgrade
> your RAM, you'll probably still be able to suspend without adding swap (due
> to page-freeing & compression).  If you find you need more swap than that,
> just add swap files until you have enough.

[KSB] I don't know any way to suspend to disk with an encrypted swap
partition, because suspend to disk (Hibernate)recognizes that the swap
space has a memory image in it and loads that memory image (simplified
explanation).  If the swap space must have an encryption key entered
before it can be booted, then you can no longer restore from swap.  So
I only use suspend to RAM (Suspend).

-- Bhaskar