Art Alexion on 19 Dec 2007 14:29:32 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Turbo Tax on Linux? (was re: Adding new drives to fstab)

On Wednesday 19 December 2007 17:09:55 JP Vossen wrote:
>  > Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 00:06:34 -0500
>  > From: Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net>
>
> [...]
>  > For instance, if I put in the Turbo Tax CD, with the label "Turbo
>  > Tax 2006", it mounts it as /media/Turbo\ Tax\ 2006.
> [...]
>
> Why would you do that?

See below

> Can you run it under WINE or something?

I sort of got it running at one point (maybe about this time last year).  It
may be solvable by installing ies4lin as it uses the IE connection settings
for communicating with the server for updates and electronic filing.

You might have more success doing that in a CrossOver bottle.

Ultimately, I installed win2k in a VM and installed it there.

> Or was
> that just a CD you had handy test test with?

Yes.

> TT is one of the few "killer apps" that I can see I might need to keep a
> Windows box around for.  And I can see that becoming a problem, as I
> refuse to have Vista in the house.  I'm also not really comfortable
> using a web-based service for this purpose.

I am thinking about this as I am about to trash the last windows desktop in
the house.  My son still has a windows laptop, but I don't plan on crapping
it up with my software.  I'll try everything again, WINE first, then
CrossOver, and failing that, a vm.

I think TT is an app that won't work in the OpenSource model.  It needs
significant updates every year, and many more smaller ones as things are
amended.  Mistakes can land you with fines, unlikely, but possible jail.  I
can't see volunteers putting that kind of work into maintaining a program.

The ideal model would be an open source engine with the IRS releasing updated
rules and form modules.  It could happen in Norway or Italy, but not here.