Art Alexion on 19 Dec 2007 16:16:40 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Turbo Tax on Linux? (was re: Adding new drives to fstab)

On Wednesday 19 December 2007 18:18:47 JP Vossen wrote:
>  > The ideal model would be an open source engine with the IRS releasing
>  > updated rules and form modules.  It could happen in Norway or Italy,
>  > but not here.
>
> Wow, what a nice dream...  :-)  I agree, not here, unless someone with
> way too much time and money on there hands decided to pay for it, then
> give it away for free.

Not necessarily.  There could be competing commercial and open source engines
Which work to certain government sponsored standards.  (Think of the eighties
when you had a lot of dbase compatible DBMAs.  They all used the dbase file
format with different engines and interfaces.)  The IRS would publish an open
spec for its forms and logic rules.  It could work, but realistically, I
follow the money and that's not where its going.