Bob Heise on 25 Dec 2007 09:44:27 -0800

Re: [PLUG] PCI DSS (data security standard) - networking question

Den Tuesday 25 December 2007 18.36.05 skrev Marc Zucchelli:
> I hope this isn't too off topic.  I've been hosting my client's websites
> for a while, and I want to completely automate the billing, as well I want
> a place for my clients to be able to sign in and update billing/credit card
> info.  The problem I run into is, I believe that if I am to store credit
> card's, I have to be PCI DSS compliant.  Networking isn't one of my strong
> points, so I don't entirely understand the PCI DSS spec, but there is one
> item that concern's me.  Item 1.3.4 of the spec says:
>
> "Placing the database in an internal network zone, segregated from the DMZ"
>
> The spec can be found here:
> https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pdfs/pci_dss_v1-1.pdf

Marc,

Would maybe running a box with a hypervisor a la xen, with several virtualised
servers on top of it suffice? You could have your credit card db on one domu
that is firewalled and your webservers on another domu. So long as your dom0
is beefy enough it should work, provided the spec doesn't mean separate
hardware.

Merry Christmas
-Bob