Ian Reinhart Geiser on 30 Dec 2007 10:28:44 -0800

[PLUG] Debootstrap help

Heya all,
I am trying to install Debian sarge to a compact flash device so that I can
boot my host PC from it.  I am trying to use
"http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apds03.html.en"; and
"http://feraga.com/library/howto_install_debian_linux_onto_a_usb_thumb_drive_with_the_root_partition_encrypted_using_uuids_initramfs_tools_dm_crypt";
as a base reference, but when I get to the point of booting the actual linux
kernel i see the following errors:
pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Everywhere I read I see hints that this is a kernel compile problem, but I am
using the same kernel package that my current PC is running just fine.  I am
assuming there is some stupid step I am missing, or kernel args gone.

Could anyone offer me some pointers, or at least maybe a better google query?

thanks

-ian reinhart geiser