holdenergy on 6 Jan 2008 07:46:04 -0800

[PLUG] Sharing an Internet Connection

Hi - What might be the quickest/cheapest/easiest way to securely share an internet connection.

Let me explain. In a shared community with only one DSL connection, multiple different entities connected through one DSL connection but requiring that records be kept for each port, so that in the extreme case of a visit from FBI/RIAA etc only that port is an issue. Ideally getting 2 IPs from the DSL provider would be perfect but that adds $$ if they'd even do it.

Furthermore, we don't want one entity soaking up all available bandwidth, so what would be the device to throttle each port to a certain percentage of available, and we actually want to maintain a certain port dedicated for VOIP to ensure quality of service even if the DSL is otherwise at capacity.

I have not seen these features in consumer grade routers and I am not sure how far we have to step up to get it, or is there a Linux solution for which I'd be happy to re-purpose an old PC or laptop.

Thanks for any help,

-Andrew