Brian Vagnoni on 19 Jan 2008 14:42:42 -0800

Re: [PLUG] The One True OS, migrating to

Kerio Mail Server has excellent IMAP support including soon to be released off line local caching mode. I have excellent results using both Outlook 2003, 2007 and KMS with IMAP and that includes PGP Enterprise who's integration is seamless

Brian Vagnoni

PGP Digital Fingerprint

F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955

From: W. Chris Shank [mailto:shankwc@acetechgroup.com]
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List [mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org]
Sent: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:16:46 -0500
Subject: Re: [PLUG] The One True OS, migrating to

outlook and imap is almost useless. outlook likes to completely freeze
the interface during imap send/receive operations (ironically - it
doesn't do this with POP - makes you go hmmm...). Also, they made it
realy hard to HIDE deleted messages (cause in IMAP delete = flag for
deletion later). So instead of the message going away - it remains
with with a line through it. MS's IMAP implementation is clearly
intended to allow IMAP connections while simultaneously discouraging
them by frustrating users. IMAP and Outlook should be avoided unless
you find a 3rd party app to allow better integration.

On Jan 18, 2008, at 9:47 PM, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:

> On Friday 18 January 2008, Art Alexion wrote:
>> Running kmail 1.9.6 (enterprise) on Kubuntu and don't see and
>> "Exchange
>> 2000" option when trying to create a new account. Should I be
>> looking
>> elsewhere?
>
> I *believe* (again, no experience doing it myself) that you use IMAP
> for
> KMail. For KOrganizer, there's a plugin for connecting to an Exchange
> server. Googling got me a few pages with instructions on connecting
> kaddressbook using LDAP. Most of what I can say about this comes from
> googling around for info.
>
> http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KOrganizer+and+the+MS+Exchange+plug-in
> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1498637333
> http://movingparts.net/2006/05/05/ldap-microsoft-exchange-and-kaddressbook-or-thunderbird/
> http://alex.mamchenkov.net/2005/12/08/kontact-ms-exchange-ms-adi/
>
>> On Thursday 17 January 2008 22:57:36 Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
>>> http://www.toltec.co.za/connector.html
>>> http://www.konsec.com/en/products/konnektor.html
>>>
>>> I don't know much about them, since I've never had to deal with the
>>> dreaded Exchange.
>>
>> Yeah, I checked the links and they don't seem to work with exchange
>> at all,
>> but rather replace it. That is not an option for most people with
>> the need
>> to use an open source/linux MUA/PIM/groupware client like Kontact or
>> Evolution. We need to connect to an existing server.
>
> Oh, I misread those pages, I thought that was for kolab to connect to
> exchange, which would have allowed you to run kolab as a middleman
> between
> exchange and kontact...

W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC