kamiza103 on 20 Jan 2008 03:11:43 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: 1-color LCD

What is your source for parts?  I found http://www.lcdparts.net/ which might be good.  We will have a one-week window during which we could have the item delivered to the US.  After that, it will have to come to the UK.

Considering that the manufacturer wants $400 to fix the LCD, I think I'll give it a shot.

I'd have to ask the owner how the laptop landed.  All I know is that it was in a plastic shopping bag (plasitc bag?!) and it landed on the floor of a shopping centre.

Brent Saner <brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:
i've done a fair bit of laptop hw repair. i'd (carefully) pry your top half of the laptop apart (the screen part. you'll need a set of jeweler's/circuitry's screwdrivers to do this, the screws are quite tiny).

the backlight is a rather fragile thing, so i wouldn't be surprised much if it did break. i'd have to know which way it landed, where it hit first, and what the floor was made of to be of any more help.

From: kamiza103@yahoo.co.jp
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:16:59 -0500
Subject: [PLUG] OT: 1-color LCD

If a person dropped a laptop and the LCD no longer lights up, but an external monitor works fine, what are the chances of the problem being just a broken backlight?  What else is the problem likely to be?

Brent Saner
215.264.0112(cell)
215.362.7696(residence)

http://www.thenotebookarmy.org

Bill Gates is to hacking as Sid Vicious was to the Sex Pistols: no talent, everyone hates him, and he's just in it for the fame and money. ___________________________________________________________________________