JP Vossen on 25 Jan 2008 15:12:44 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast & Mail Servers

> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:41:21 -0500
> From: "Brian Vagnoni" <bvagnoni@v-system.net>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast & Mail Servers
>
> Switching over to comcast business class this Saturday. I'll let
> people know how it is. I've already been told initially their
> firewall will be active but all I have to do is call tech support to
> have the SMC converted to a wide open bridge. I have this in writing
> from them so I'm hoping it won't be a problem. Happy to finally be
> getting real PTR records, now I can get some real certs for my
> servers.

Static IP I assume?  Someone told me that the Comcast static IPs are in
the same ranges as the DHCP addresses, so you'll get RBL'd if you try to
run a mail server.  I'll be interested to hear if that's still the case,
and how it goes in general trying to get a correct PTR record.  As I've
commented on this list before, I personally don't think Comcast has any
idea how to run a large DNS infrastructure.

Please do let us know how it all goes now, and in a few weeks...

Thanks,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.