JP Vossen on 26 Jan 2008 22:04:23 -0800

[PLUG] Cheap Certs (was Re: OT: Comcast & Mail Servers)

> Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 15:01:48 -0500
> From: "Brian Vagnoni" <bvagnoni@v-system.net>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast & Mail Servers
 >
> Then get some cheap cert's and digital ID's.

Check out the following for free certs:

http://cacert.org/
https://www.thawte.com/secure-email/web-of-trust-wot/index.html

I am a CA Cert assurer, as is at least one other member of PANTUG
(www.pantug.org), so if you want to go the CA Cert route just show up
for the next meeting at ITT Tech in KoP Feb 13th and Drew & I can get
you going (let us know first).  We can do it sooner if you need to, but
it might entail some driving around.

A problem with CA Cert is that they aren't in the root certs of most
browsers, notably excepting CentOS, which does include CA Cert in
Firefox (at least).  That might be a deal-breaker for you, depending on
your goals.  But explore their site anyway.

I haven't looked into the Thawte one in a while, so not sure of the details.

Later,
JP

PS--Thanks for the http://rblcheck.wiki.sourceforge.net/ tip, I'm going
to need to know about that for a project at work next week!  Great
timing.  Anything else you have on that topic that's CLI/scriptable
would be appreciated.
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.