Kristian Erik Hermansen on 1 Feb 2008 03:25:57 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Debian-SAMBA Suggestions

On Feb 1, 2008 2:53 AM, Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> wrote:
> Can you show me benchmarks that demonstrate that all the time you spend
> building your software is eventually repaid?  e.g., if a build of the X
> dependency chain takes 12 hours (which it used to, haven't done it in a
> while), do you save so much time with your lean optimized binaries that
> you will ever save 12 hours?  And can you demonstrate this?

Dude, I have been running Ubuntu since 2004.  I ran Gentoo a long time
ago (2001-2004, RH before that since 90's).  You don't have to preach
me on the "return of investment" spiel.  What I was trying to get
across is that Gentoo does have a legitimate purpose.  In fact, a
buddy of mine and I are planning to offer a service to millions of
people which is built on top of Gentoo exactly because it is required.
 We have a system which required customized and fast executing
binaries.  The system doesn't change too often, and it is not
graphical (this is a server), so we don't have to worry about 12 hour
Gnome builds.

The main advantage that Gentoo offers us is an established and tested
framework for optimizing our binaries to perfection for production
usage.  I don't want to give too much away about what we plan to offer
yet, but it requires that tools like ffmpeg and mencoder are optimized
as much as possible :-)  Just using standard i386 (or even plain
amd64) binaries are a waste.  We have powerful hardware and
instruction sets on the hardware which is best utilized when software
is built specifically to take advantage of it...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."