James Barrett on 6 Feb 2008 10:26:52 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Is PLUG Appropriate For Me?

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 12:00:54PM -0500, Eugene Smiley wrote:
> Art Alexion wrote:
> > On Thursday 31 January 2008 20:52:46 Brian Vagnoni wrote:
> >> Dude :-) (Windows 98SE.....) Wow haven't heard that one in awhile
> >> still see it and WIN95 on POS(Point of Sale aka networked cash
> >> registers) systems but that's about it.
> >
> > Barnes & Noble uses DOS 5.0 for point of sale.  I'm gonna guess they're not
> > alone.
>
> I've worked for restaurants where the POS was based on Win 3.1. This was just 2
> years ago. As they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Sure.  The software might work, it might never need to be updated...  If
they wait until their hardware starts dying to replace the otherwise
"working" software, then they will be in for a rude awakening.  If they
ever have to purchase new equipment they might be SOL and their POS
software could be a POS indeed.  They would then have to decide wether
or not to create GIG-e drivers for DOS/95/98 or switch over to FREEDOS.
At that point they might even consider revamping their systems entirely.