brent timothy saner on 14 Feb 2008 16:50:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] "unerase" for linux ext3?

bergman@merctech.com wrote:

> I mounted the disk onto another (working) linux box, and wrote some perl to walk
> through the unmounted disk, searching for binary data that matched the beginning
> of a disk partition. This allowed me to recover the two partitions (~70GB of
> data) on the disk as filesystem images onto the host machine. I then mounted
> those as loopback images and wrote the data to new disks.

doesn't gpart do essentially the same thing? or does it not play nicely
with raid?

--
Brent Saner
215.264.0112(cell)

Bill Gates is to hacking as Sid Vicious was to the Sex Pistols:
no talent, everyone hates him, and he's just in it for the fame and money.

GPG INFO:
pub   1024D/832D950A 2008-01-26
uid                  Brent Timothy Saner <brent.saner@gmail.com>
uid                  Brent Timothy Saner (ACE Technology Group,
www.acetechgroup.com) <sanerb@acetechgroup.com>
sub   4096g/1C18F61D 2008-01-26
(pgp.mit.edu)
FINGERPRINT: