JP Vossen on 19 Feb 2008 18:30:12 -0800

Re: [PLUG] "unerase" for linux ext3?

> Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
>
>  > Check out foremost. http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005913
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Mark wrote:
>
>  > See also: http://www.fish2.com/tct/help-recovering-file

And another one:

When files disappear, Magic Rescue saves the day
	http://www.linux.com/feature/126525
	http://jbj.rapanden.dk/magicrescue/

 From the Linux.com article, it sounds like a more primitive version of
Foremost, but I haven't tried it.

I did try Foremost, just for fun.  It recovered 47,148 files in the < 30
mins I let it run on an Ubuntu desktop, split up by type [1] and named
(I assume) by inode.  What are exe & dll files doing on an Ubuntu
machine, especially exe's containing strings like "Windows 95 Font
Smoothing Installation"?  Beats me!  I saw a bunch of other stuff that I
have no idea about either.  No, the machine isn't hacked; I must have
used it as temp space while copying or backing something up, but I don't
remember that.  Hummm, that machine DOES have a W2KPro VMware VM on it,
but VMware is not using raw partitions.  I wonder if it's somehow found
stuff from that?  The machine and HD used to be W2KPro, but I
reformatted when I moved from NTFS to ext3 during the Ubuntu install...
  Since all the file names are gone, it's hard to figure out what
everything it.  Lots of the stuff like doc, xls, ppt seem to be stock
examples or templates; they aren't anything I wrote.  OTOH, there are
HTML files that are probably out of a browser cache...

Oh well.  Interesting exercise anyway.
JP

[1] Stuff Foremost found:
$ echo -e "#files\tSize\tDir"; for dir in *; do [ -d $dir ] && { echo -e
"$(ls -1 $dir | wc -l)\t$(du -s $dir)" ; }; done
#files  Size    Dir
210     34276   avi
3686    53748   bmp
2993    608380  dll
47      3928    doc
771     220840  exe
4732    29460   gif
2364    60276   htm
50      32612   jar
13412   201204  jpg
9       72 mbd
16      1220    mov
77      131800  mpg
65      4728    ole
39      47984   pdf
17828   92908   png
46      2948    ppt
1       21632   rar
7       152     sdw
136     2252    sx
4       48 sxi
20      176     sxw
55      12460   vis
152     5404    wav
6       15744   wmv
29      3164    xls
377     200360  zip

Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.