James Barrett on 9 Mar 2008 12:28:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] modprobe kvm question

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 03:16:00PM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> I am using kvm/qemu for TurboTax.  If I forget to run a 'modprobe kvm-amd' kvm
> won't load and qemu runs the vm very slow. (Very, very fast with kvm).  If I
> reboot the host, I have to run modprobe again.  Is there a way to either make
> this permanent?

It would probably be OK to have the module load automatically in
whichever way your distro deems fit every time you boot the host.
/etc/modules et al.  One issue you might have to consider would be if
you currently run, or ever decide to run something else that wants to
use AMD-V (pacifica).  For instance, if you ever decided to install a
fairly recent version of parallels, you would want to unload kvm-amd
before loading the package or else you would not have a very happy time.

--
James Barrett