Andrew Libby on 18 Mar 2008 11:14:51 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Windows themes (ON-TOPIC, i promise)

Actually, what we should do is try to find a way to get a grant
so that we can build the system -- and be paid for it!

The system itself could be GPL, or whatever the best license would be.

The People make a wise investment.   A few lucky propeller heads get
a (hopefully) fun and exciting project.

But then the IRS does not seem to be in the business of making the payment
of taxes easy or simple.

I'd certainly be interested in building a facility to make paying taxes
online easy
and low cost rather than padding the pockets of TurboTax.

Any publicly spirited entrepreneurs about the list?

Andy

K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> I find it rather interesting that we are discussing open source
> software tol allow us to pay our taxes.  Is anyone else surprised (no,
> offended) that the IRS does not provide citizens with a way to file
> taxes electronically except the very simplest tax returns?  I can file
> my Pennsylvania tax returns electronically, but if I want to file my
> federal taxes electronically, Uncle Sam requires me to pay an
> intermediary to file my taxes.  It would save the Government time and
> money, and it would save me time and money if they allowed me to file
> my tax returns on the web.
>
> Instead of bemoaning the fact that there isn't a Turbo Tax work-alike
> for Linux, we should put our energy into demanding that the US
> Government provide us with a way to file our tax returns
> electronically via a W3C standards compliant web browser.
>
> Regards
> -- Bhaskar

Tangeis, LLC
Andrew Libby