jeff on 22 Mar 2008 13:35:56 -0700

[PLUG] the dreaded Wireless Monster<tm>

Got a new laptop and am attempting to see if it will cooperate with my
network.  Spent countless hours tweezing and finally managed to get
wireless going.

Unfortunately the only way I was able to make wireless happen was by
turning on SSID broadcast.  Does this indicate I did something else
wrong?  If I get it connected then turn off SSID at the router, the
connection drops and won't reconnect.  This was not a problem with the
original laptop.

The laptop is a Dell, with one of those unmentionable Broadcomm wireless
units that require the Win driver+ndiswrapper.  There are countless web
pages with info and countless workarounds.  The OS is Xubuntu (I
purchased the laptop with FreeDos and did my install).

You may ask why I didn't check compatibility before I purchased.
The answer is quite simply `because I'm stupid'.
Either that or I expected the experience to be like my last Dell, whose
wireless had a driver.

Now I can spend the rest of the weekend trying to get audio happening :)

The full rant will be posted shortly on my blog.
http://lockergnome.com/leftystrat