Eugene Smiley on 26 Mar 2008 17:30:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] NTP process FYI

JP Vossen wrote:
> Can you think of a better way to monitor?

Not off the top of my head. Considering the FW issue you might consider Nagios
or similar. <shrug> You know. To protect you from yourself. ;)

>> http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/SelectingOffsiteNTPServers#Section_5.3.3.
>
> Right, I'm doing "5.3.7. Using pool.ntp.org Servers"

I'm just saying that you should probably have more than 4 server lines. I'm in
Brad Knowles's camp that 4 servers in a conf is not enough. 5 should be the
recommended minimum. This just means adding another line even if it mean
duplicating one. With the new DNS system each query returns 5 unique servers and
every query is different.

> I didn't know that.  Bummer.  We could all down to to UDel and picket
> his office.  ;-)  I'd not heard of OpenNTP either, but it's in the Etch
> repos, cool!  Does the interface suck less?

lol I'll be with you in spirit. Since traveling from Miami to Delaware isn't in
the budget.

OpenNTP used to have a bad rap due to bugs which slammed servers at a rate of
1-10 requests per second. They've improved and I know that there are a few pool
servers running OpenNTP, but I've never tried it, so I can't speak to the
interface, but I'd suspect it's similar to the original for compatibility.

You might join the pool mailing list and ask.

>> Define broken. I'll pass it along to the pool.ntp.org mailing list and I'll find
>> out what is up with ubuntu.*
>
> $ for pool in {0,1,2,3,4}.us.debian.pool.ntp.org; do host $pool; done
> Host 0.us.debian.pool.ntp.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
[...]
> Host 4.us.debian.pool.ntp.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
> $ for pool in {0,1,2,3,4}.us.ubuntu.pool.ntp.org; do host $pool; done
> Host 0.us.ubuntu.pool.ntp.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
[...]
> Host 4.us.ubuntu.pool.ntp.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
> I've never seen a pool >4, but I threw that one in there just for
> overkill.  FYI, my upstream DNS is OpenDNS, if that matters, which in
> theory it shouldn't.

The way the system is set up you can use 0-3 and none.
pool.ntp.org
0.pool.ntp.org
1.pool.ntp.org
2.pool.ntp.org
3.pool.ntp.org

With the Vendor pool country and regional codes aren't implemented. The vendor
pool is to allow control for default configurations. If a vendors implementation
suddenly breaks, Ask has a way to take all that vendors systems out to keep them
from abusing the pool. Country and region codes aren't helpful in a default
config. If a user has decided to change their config it's usually to pick
servers closer to them which will take them out of the default config.

As for Ubuntu, they may not have applied for a Vendor zone. They use the main
pool by default, right?

More details:
http://www.pool.ntp.org/vendors.html

> But NTP might be the only argument I'd accept for the coffee maker to have an
> IPv6 address and be on the 'Net.  :-)  I wonder is USB or RFID could somehow
> be used since both are everywhere and cheaper than dirt?

I think I'd be afraid to use RFID in my home, but USB sounds interesting. The
drawbacks being a 30' cable limitation between hubs and ease of wiring a house
with USB at every outlet. That would be a major hurdle to implementation unless
it's a geek house. ;)