Art Alexion on 27 Mar 2008 09:07:08 -0700

[PLUG] virtualization recommendations

I really like using kvm at home with a winxp guest on an Ubuntu host.
Unfortunately the machine I have at work where I would like to test software
in a VM does not support VT, so kvm won't work.

My needs are as follows: I want to create a standard winxp desktop vm to test
software for deployment to windows users, preferably something that fits
either on a dual layer DVD or an 8 GB stick so I can delete and reinstall
after testing simply by copying the image onto the HD again.

I'd also like to use it to test Linux distros and betas.

Without the kvm option, what are the recommendations among vmware, xen,
virtualpc, parallels, qemu, etc. for the forgoing?