PaulNM on 31 Mar 2008 08:19:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Speaking of network monitoring......

jeff wrote:
> I just got one of the Network World emails which stated that network
> pros spend an inordinate amount of time troubleshooting network
> problems.  This goes against the data that shows spending increasing for
> monitoring tools.
>
> Funny, that.
> I think the article parallels some of my research, in that people either
> aren't using the right tools or aren't using the tools right.  Or something.

Maybe it's because of those nice new shiny tools? Now that they can see
exactly what's going on, they need to fix every little issue that pops
up. For example, slowness during one part of the day was thought to be
because of something else using the network (backups/data transfer/etc),
but now that the admin can see exact utilization, they realize that
isn't enough to explain it.

Or better yet, the tools helped relieve network congestion, so people
are using the network more now that it's available. It's sort of like
how I spend even more time managing disk space when I add storage. "Hey
I have all this free space, maybe I'll try another distro!" or "Now I
can keep my dvd's on the harddrive for better speed and less wear on the
disc." Then it's "Hey, were the hell did my space go? Time for a
new/bigger hd!" :)

Fun thoughts,
	PaulNM