TuskenTower on 2 Apr 2008 14:16:00 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OT: GPS Recommendation Wanted

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:27 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
>  > Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 22:16:09 -0400
>   > From: "K.S. Bhaskar" <bhaskar@bhaskars.com>
>
>  >
>   > My TomTom One doesn't ask me to acknowledge that I know what I am
>   > doing when I turn it on.
>
>  Both of mine do *if* the battery ran out.  And we use them rarely enough
>  that that's usually the case.  Also, ours require using the on/off
>  buttons, which kind of goes against what the OP is trying to do.
>
>  Having said that, I like the unit a lot; that's why I have two.  The
>  Windows-only software bugs me too, but I don't really use it anyway, so...

The fun thing about a TomTom Go is that when you mount it as a USB
device, you have almost full access to the device.  I saved my TomTom
by copying everything off and then copying everything back when I
bricked the device.  The only time you need the software is when you
want to upgrade the maps or firmware.  The other stuff like voices and
points of interest (POIs) are fluff that you can do without.

I HATE the TeleAtlas maps on the TomTom Go units.  With that said, my
wife HATES the piss poor user interface on the Garmin Nuvi that we
bought to replace the TomTom Go.  The TomTom Go user interface is by
far the best one that I have used (I have used a Mio).  The menu
system is simple and direct, like a Mac.

The Garmin is very winDOwS like with multiple targets of varying size
on the main map screen.  If you try scrolling around the map, you
might just end up selecting a point and hitting the "Go" option by
mistake.  There is no audible alert for power loss.

I believe that all newer GPSs have the SiRF III chipset.

One last word of caution.  When I bought my brand new TomTom Go 300
last year, it's maps of King Of Prussia around the 202/I76/422
intersection were out of date!!!  We're talking pre-construction and I
had to pay to upgrade my maps.

HTH
Amul