JP Vossen on 3 Apr 2008 13:48:15 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Suggested reading

> Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 14:23:56 -0400
> From: "william antill" <kngbeavis@gmail.com>
>
> I ordered Unix Power tools as a starter reference. I really want to
> get into linux administration and customising, scripts, and such...
> you know?  I have a networking background, and an MCP, but I run linux
> as my main machine, Id really like to be able to do more with it.  Any
> suggestions?
>

> From: "Mark Baker" <mark.baker@hxti.com>
>
> The "Essential System Administration" book from O'Reilly would be a good
> start.

+1 for both of those.

For scripting, I recommend:
	_Learning the bash Shell_	# Intro
	_Classic Shell Scripting_	# Intermediate
	_bash Cookbook_			# Cookbook

Disclaimer: I co-wrote _bash Cookbook_, and it's not an "intro" book
unless you like to learn just by reading solutions to various problems.
   Having said that, it does start with basic things and go to more
advanced problems.  There is also some overlap in the reference material
in Learning and Cookbook, since I copied (and enhanced) a lot of it.

Other great scripting resources are:
	http://bashcookbook.com/  (go figure :)
	http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html
	http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/
	http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/index.html
	http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html
	http://shell-fu.org/

I'm also presenting on bash at upcoming PLUG North and West meetings,
check the schedule for details.  The basic talk will be on some of my
favorite "recipes" from the book.  Time permitting we may delve into the
differences between bash and dash.

For Linux in general:
	_Linux Cookbook_ is a GREAT start (if you like cookbooks)
	_Ubuntu Hacks_ is really handy, I got a lot out of it
	_Backup & Recovery_, when you get to that point
	_Linux Server Hacks_
	_Linux Server Security_ & _Linux Security Cookbooks_
	And many more:
http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-a=sp1000a5a9&sp-f=ISO-8859-1&search=Go&sp-t=cat_search&sp-q=linux&sp-k=Books&sp-i=1

Can you tell I'm an O'Reilly fan?  :-)

HTH,