Eric Hidle on 5 Apr 2008 13:14:39 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OT: GPS Recommendation Wanted

The Garmin GPSMAP 496 makes any consumer auto or nav system look like a total joke.

It costs about the same a factory NAV system, but it is far better. It is XM capable, so if you have a subscription, you get updates, traffic, weather, and so on, all in real time. It is meant for pilots, so it also has extensive aviation GPS uses (winds aloft, AOPA airport directory pop-up TFRs, FCC tower database, etc), but the land-based functions blow away anything I've seen in a car - complete auto-routing, course deviation, timing, maps always up to date, etc..

About $2400... and you can get a panel dock that will roughly fit a double DIN, but you might have to do a little massage.

There are cheaper versions, the 495, 396, and 296, in the same series, with various feature deletions.

Check them out...