Jonathan Simpson on 2 May 2008 03:17:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] USB cable longer than 15 feet?

Yes, perhaps one of these?
http://www.thepertelianstore.com/servlet/Detail?no=4
You can probably get a better price on it, but they're the ones that clued me in to the existence. It's basically an active 1port USB hub embedded in the cable.

For a printer, you *might* get by just by stringing some cables together, but for reliable operation you should use a powered hub (or a powered cable like the above) as a repeater.

Jonathan Simpson

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org [mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of JP Vossen
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 4:03 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] USB cable longer than 15 feet?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but...

Anyone ever see if USB cable longer than 15 feet, or is that the max
allowed by the spec?  I may need to replace a 25' parallel printer cable
with USB, and 15' < 25'.  I guess I can use a powered (or unpowered) hub
to join 2 15' cables.  Anyone got anything better?

Later,
JP