JP Vossen on 12 Jun 2008 18:07:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Windows TextUtils/CLI tools (was re: A week o' Mondays...]

 > Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:35:29 -0400
 > From: jeff <jeffv@op.net

 > JP Vossen wrote:
 >> a mostly Windows crowd (students at ITT Tech))
 > nice gig.

It's not a gig as I think you mean.  ITT is nice enough to allow PANTUG
(Philadelphia Area Network Technologies User Group: www.pantug.org) to
use their library to hold meetings on the 2nd Wednesday of the month.
Sometimes students sit in on presentations, as happened last night.  I
don't teach there officially or anything like that.

There is a tiny bit of cross-pollination between PLUG and PANTUG, though
I won't name any names besides mine.  PANTUG started out in the mid 90's
as a Windows NT group though, so any PLUG'ers stuck with dealing with
Windows may find joining worthwhile.  Windows stuff isn't OT over there
(which fact may dissuade others here from joining)... :-)

Browse the archives at http://groups.google.com/group/pantug to get a
flavor...  And you all may be amused to know I just rebuilt the group's
server on Ubuntu Hardy with Joomla and Mailman after the Windows one
crashed.

 > Is that a diploma mill or a real school?

I don't have enough information to answer that question or to even have
an opinion.  As I said, they are nice to PANTUG, and let us meet there,
that's the extent of my knowledge.  I've never seen anything
questionable, and they do ask for industry folks to sit on boards and
give recommendations on curriculum, so that's a point in their favor.

 >> In particular, I'm a big fan of the http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/,
 > I'll take a look.  Thanks for the pointers and the presentation.

You won't be sorry.  Well, *you* might, since you'll probably run afoul
of one of the bugs in date.exe which I've never gotten the author to
fix...  But in general...  :-)

 > Got any video of the happy event?

Thankfully, no!  As I said, it was really just a UG meeting, though in
this case students outnumbered group members.

Later,
JP