Elizabeth Bevilacqua on 15 Jun 2008 09:30:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu desktop vs server kernel

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 1:00 AM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> Does anyone know the significant differences between the Ubuntu Hardy
> linux-generic and linux-server kernels?

Back in November 2007 Carla Schroder wrote a couple of articles
answering this question. Even better, aside from just telling you the
differences, she offers detailed instructions on how she analyzed the
kernels to come up with the results - so while she inspected a Gutsy
kernel, you can do the same yourself for Hardy if you feel so inclined
(but I doubt things have changed much)

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netos/article.php/3709221
(outlines differences)
http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netos/article.php/3710641
(starts diving into kernel here)

...in theory there is a third article in this series, but after 10
minutes of searching I can't find it, but hopefully this direct link
to the kernels diff:
http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/img/examples/ubuntu_server_config_diff.html
is enough to get you started.

Cheers,