JP Vossen on 27 Jun 2008 18:30:06 -0700

[PLUG] Server h/w migration?

Looking for advice or best practices here.

I will be migrating several personal servers to new hardware over the
next few months.  3 are Debian Etch, 1 is Ubuntu 7.10 (Mythbuntu).  The
existing hardware is a mishmash with all EIDE, no software mirroring.
The new hardware is PE750s, all of which have SATA drives and all will
be mirrored.  Destination OS is 3 Debian Etch and 1 Ubuntu Hardy.
Downtime is fine, though the less the better.  2 servers have probably <
20G total, the other 2 have 200-400G each.

Off the top of my head I could:

1)	Do a fresh install to the new machine
	Duplicate packages
		(risk missing anything not packaged)
	rsync /etc/, data, etc. over the wire, or via USB hard drive

2)	Set up mirrored LVM partitions
	rsync over more-or-less everything
	Update fstab to handle the LVM/mirror
		Risk missing LVM/md packages

BTW, they won't be virtualized for separation of duties (LAN, DMZ) and
physical location (local, hosted) reasons. :-)

I also see the Debian Lenny is supposed to ship in September 2008
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/06/msg00000.html).
I don't *think* I want to wait until late fall to migrate to the new
hardware, though I might consider if someone has a compelling reason.
Actually, 1 machine has to go to hosting sooner and 1 is trivial enough
to not worry about, and 1 is Ubuntu, so I'm really just talking about 1
server.  However, it's my main, critical one, with current H/W RAID, so...

Thanks,
JP