Matt Mossholder on 3 Jul 2008 19:26:53 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Text file to Excel, automated

Ummmm... Normally I would be all for the scripted solution, but if you are using ODBC to get the data, why don't you just use Excel to pull the data from the DB, and cut out the middle man?

In Excel: Data->Import External Data->New Database Query

     --Matt

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julien Mills" <julienfmills@yahoo.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 3, 2008 7:18:32 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Text file to Excel, automated

Everyone,

> Any of those should allow you automate your task...if
> you're willing,
> I'm sure we can even help you work through using any of
> these over the
> list.

Thanks for all the replies and help on this, I'm going away
for the weekend so I won't be able to work on this, but I'm
kind of chomping on the bit now.

The output is coming from DB2 on an as/400, I use ODBC with
the IBM drivers.  It works very nicely, I can get pretty much
any type of output I need.  I'll report back when I get
going with this.

Thanks again,

Julien