Brian Stempin on 15 Jul 2008 20:00:13 -0700

Re: [PLUG] VMware in Ubuntu repos?

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 5:55 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
 > Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:51:16 -0400
 > From: "Brian Stempin" <brian.stempin@gmail.com>
 >
 > VMWare Server (amongst other things, such as DB2, etc) are available
 > via Canonical's partner repository. See
 > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3443174

That says "Canonical Partner Repository" == "comerical repo renamed"
[sic] for Gutsy; I'm talking about Hardy.  "vmware-server" *was* there
on Feisty and Gutsy, see
http://archive.canonical.com/dists/feisty-commercial/main/binary-i386/Packages.
and
http://archive.canonical.com/dists/gutsy/partner/binary-i386/Packages.
But as I said in my original post 'there are no "*-commercial" repos
since Feisty [as just noted in Gutsy they were renamed], and I can't
find it in any [hardy] repo I've found.'

 > From: Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net>
 > Subject: Re: [PLUG] VMware in Ubuntu repos?
 >
 > in addition to
 >   deb http://archice.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner
 > there are
 >   deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy commercial

So, it turns out that I was reading the packages file for the gutsy-partner repo.  After searching around the hardy repos, I discovered that I was also unable to locate this package.  After a while, I did a few google searches on how to install vmware-server on Hardy, and I got a series of responses like this one:
and this one:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware/Server
*None* of the results I found involved doing anything with apt-get.  All of them required downloading and compiling software directly from VMWare.  Perhaps they've dropped support for it?