Art Alexion on 17 Jul 2008 09:28:34 -0700

Re: [PLUG] keyboard dies

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Kevin McAllister <kevin@mcallister.ws>
wrote:
> On Jul 17, 2008, at 11:06 AM, Art Alexion wrote:
>
>> Restarting the x-server restores the keyboard.
>
> Is it a USB KVM?  I had a similar experience with my Dell E521 using a
> USB keyboard and mouse.  It is fairly well documented in the threads I
> started on the forums linked from my article here:
http://logicaldisconnect.org/archives/2006/10/25/making-noise-dell-dimension-e521-linux-usb-problems/

Yes.  It is a USB KVM, but when it dies, Ubuntu (Gnome) and WinXP on
the other two machines are working fine.

> Now I wasn't using a KVM but I found unplugging the keyboard and
> plugging it back in would reset things for a while.

Switching back does not restore functionality.  I haven't tried
un/replugging the keyboard, but guessing it is the functional
equivalent of switching PCs.

> It finally settled down after a BIOS update to the machine, but it
> resurfaced after a ubuntu upgrade.

Switching back does not restore functionality.  I haven't tried
un/replugging the keyboard, but guessing it is the functional
equivalent of switching PCs.

> I found after much further
> research that the Logitech mouse I was using was old as in USB 1.0
> old.  And was the source of the issues.  I bought a new mouse and
> never looked back.

No, the KVM is about a year old.  The problem doesn't occur when
swtiching PCs.  The mouse is one of the newest of the big kensington
trackballs.