brent timothy saner on 30 Aug 2008 16:24:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Question about Remote Desktop through a NAT

Brian Vagnoni wrote:
> Opps sorry forgot to answer your question.
>
> UVNC with Singleclick plugin does that and for free.

not relevant; still doesn't answer the question.

"My 82 year-old nerd-wannabe dad (actually, he *was* a nerd when he was
younger, but the world moves too fast...) just loaded Ubuntu on his
laptop." -OP

in case you didn't know, ubuntu is a GNU/Linux distribution.uVNC SC is
Windows-only.

I second the notion of creating a vpn and connect him to it, so the OP
can ssh in/x-forward over SSH..hell, even forward a vnc session over ssh
on demand (the OP can run a vnc listener on his wkstn, and tell his
father's vnc server to connect to that listening session). the vpn is
definitely a boon, as it can be easily set up client-side, NO ROUTER
CONFIGURATION IS NECESSARY, and is much more flexible (it will also
grant him ssh access, file sharing, etc. without further port forwarding
on the router).

Casey- if you need assistance setting up openvpn, feel free to contact
me off-list. if you prefer ipsec, i am sure there are others who can
help you out as well.