Gordon Dexter on 1 Sep 2008 08:35:03 -0700

Re: [PLUG] top posting

Mag Gam wrote:
> this is probally a stupid question, but what exactly is 'top posting'?
> I use gmail to access my mailing lists and people always complain that
> I 'top post'. I am not sure how to avoid it. Is it a client issue or
> something else? I would like to fix this on my end if possible.
>
> TIA

Top posting is putting your reply above the text you're replying to,
instead of below.  Gmail probably does it that way automatically, and
many people like it like that because then they don't have to scroll all
the way down past the previous emails to see what you actually said.
Some people don't like it though, because it makes long email threads
hard to read (you have to start at the bottom and read upwards).
Usually it's a personal preference, but mailing lists prefer posting at
the bottom because it makes it easy to read the entire thread.

--Gordon