JP Vossen on 10 Sep 2008 13:00:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu mawk instead of gawk

 > Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 19:48:54 -0400
 > From: "David A. Harding" <dave@dtrt.org>
 >
 > On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 07:30:57PM -0400, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
 >> Well, when it comes to dash/bash, it really does make a significant
 >> difference

Agree, if you phrase it "significant *speed* difference".  OTOH, it's
annoying when you expect /bin/sh to be bash.  (I don't, but *lots* of
people brought up on Linux do.)  It's just another one of those things
that you have to Just Know or else you get bit.

 > It makes a difference with mawk/gawk too:
 >
 >     "Mawk's  primary  advantages  are  its  speed  and   robustness.
 >     Although it has fewer  features  than  gawk,  it  almost  always
 >     outperforms it." (p. 272)
 >
 >			-- sed & awk, Second Ed. (O'Reilly)
 >			   Dale Dougherty & Arnold Robbins
 >
 >> I believe [mawk is the awk] version Debian uses by default too.
 >
 > It does, and it has for a long time.

Interesting.  I'm surprised I didn't notice that.  OTOH, I install
Debian so rarely (one of Debian's best features!) that I guess I forgot
that I manually installed gawk too.  I guess you (re-)learn something
every day.  :-)

Thanks,
JP