Jason Stelzer on 30 Sep 2008 10:54:18 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Odd email problem

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 1:10 AM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:

> For this, and other reasons he's switched hosting providers, and the
> problem persists.  We're not aware of any SMTP proxies, and find it hard
> to believe that a proxy would swap parts of an address...  OTOH, the
> reverse lookup of the server *is* mail. (not list.), so it's possible
> something is trying to be "helpful."  We just can't figure out what.

I was away for a bit, sorry. As a late followup to this, it certainly
seems weird that only outlook is having this issue, but to your point
of the server swapping out parts of the address; postfix (among
others) does exactly that.

What I find weird is that it isn't being consistent across the board.
I would always expect that a mail sent to user@cname would be changed
to user@fqdn by the time it is delivered. The concrete 'where it does
this' and where to look deeper into what's going on if you're curious
about the inconsistencies (I admit I am) are below.

Have a look at "man 8 cleanup"  and/also the docs on trivial-rewrite
for more details, but the synopsis is:

CLEANUP(8postfix)

                                CLEANUP(8postfix)

NAME
       cleanup - canonicalize and enqueue Postfix message

SYNOPSIS
       cleanup [generic Postfix daemon options]

DESCRIPTION
       The cleanup(8) daemon processes inbound mail, inserts it into
the incoming mail queue, and informs the queue manager of its arrival.

       The cleanup(8) daemon always performs the following transformations:

       o      Insert missing message headers: (Resent-) From:, To:,
Message-Id:, and Date:.

       o      Transform  envelope  and  header  addresses  to the
standard user@fully-qualified-domain form that is expected by other
Postfix programs.  This task is delegated to the trivial-
              rewrite(8) daemon.

       o      Eliminate duplicate envelope recipient addresses.

       The following address transformations are optional:

       o      Optionally, rewrite all envelope and header addresses
according to the mappings specified in the canonical(5) lookup tables.

       o      Optionally, masquerade envelope sender addresses and
message header addresses (i.e. strip host or domain information below
all domains listed in the  masquerade_domains  parame-
              ter, except for user names listed in
masquerade_exceptions).  By default, address masquerading does not
affect envelope recipients.

       o      Optionally, expand envelope recipients according to
information found in the virtual(5) lookup tables.

       The  cleanup(8)  daemon performs sanity checks on the content
of each message. When it finds a problem, by default it returns a
diagnostic status to the client, and leaves it up to the
       client to deal with the problem. Alternatively, the client can
request the cleanup(8) daemon to bounce the message back to the sender
in case of trouble.

--
J.