Brian Stempin on 4 Oct 2008 20:30:29 -0700

[PLUG] resolv.conf question

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 on my home router box.  This particular machine is also running a DHCP and internal DNS server.  I've noticed that while SSH'ing into my router, my internal DNS names do not resolve.  I took a look at /etc/resolv.conf, and noticed that the DNS and name search information was set to Comcast's default values.  I figured that this was normal, since one of the machine's NICs has a static internal address, and the other has a DHCP address supplied by Comcast.  Knowing this, I modified the machine's resolv.conf file such that my internal DNS server was the first one to be used.  In addition to this, I also changed the default host name suffix to my internal name (ie, instead of the default suffix being "blah.comcast.net", I changed it to "bstempi.servebeer.com").  This worked for a while, but suddenly stopped working.  Upon further inspection, it turns out that my Comcast DHCP lease expiring caused my resolv.conf to be overwritten by dhclient.

How do I configure this system to use my DNS server and default host name suffix, while allowing Comcast's information to also be added/updated when my Comcast interface re-DHCPs?  Is this a simple resolv.conf configuration, or is there more to this solution?

TIA,
Brian