Stephen Gran on 16 Oct 2008 12:23:19 -0700

Re: [PLUG] CLI for "find" text string in an unknown file

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:54:37AM -0400, bergman@merctech.com said:
> => Or, just grep -lr <directory>
>
> Yep. Modulo the issues with embedded whitespace.

No issues with whitespace with that approach.

> 	* I haven't looked at the code for grep in many years, and GNU utils
> 		tend to be good about eliminating arbitrary limits or making
> 		them huge, but this may still be an issue.

That has nothing to do with the gnu tools, it comes from the c library.
`getconf ARG_MAX` for a reasonable idea of what you can get away with.
|  Stephen Gran                  | The way to a man's stomach is through   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | his esophagus.                          |