James Barrett on 4 Nov 2008 16:48:52 -0800

Re: [PLUG] weird process?

If squid were configured correctly, and there are no publicly known
squid vulnerabilities for the version being run (and the version being
run was compiled without any custom patches), it is probably safe to
say that the point of unauthorized entry was not squid.  Think about
it this way, if someone discovered an unpublicized exploit and if they
were out to do mischief, would they start by picking some gateway
hooked up to a T1?  No, they would probably pick something else with
which they could wreak a gigantic amount of havoc.

My uneducated guess is that whoever got in did so by some other means.
 They then took the opportunity to use squid to their advantage after
the fact.  Unless of course the squid being run was in fact
vulnerable...

--
Jim