Gordon Dexter on 14 Nov 2008 13:48:06 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Your recommendations

Ugarit Ebla wrote:
> I have a server with four 750GB hard drives and 4 GB of RAM and it's
> capable of RAID 0,1,10,5.  I would like to use LVM with RAID.
>
> What is your recommendation for partitioning?
>
> I would like to use Ubuntu for the OS.
What are you going to be doing with it?  User file storage?  Databases?
Mirroring?

Obviously if you're going to be having users store files on it best
option is to have a huge /home partition.  Mirroring or databases will
require space in /var.  There are many other uses that require different
config, you can't pick one without having some idea of the load.

--Gordon