Brian Vagnoni on 15 Nov 2008 10:01:00 -0800

Re: [PLUG] network hardware follies

----- Original Message -----
From: Eric [mailto:eric@lucii.org]

> To begin to hack the device I powered it up and held the reset button
> for about
> 1 minute (later extended to 3 minutes.)

Bad can place the unit in factory debug mode and clear the firmware. In
my experience you want to wait for the power up then hold the reset button down.
Try a full 11 second count with the above procedure.

> In all cases there is no
> response from
> the default address (192.168.15.1 on one of the LAN ports) after the
> unit was
> "reset".  This mirrors my experience with Linksys devices which appear
> to resist
> resetting with a tenacity usually attributed to pitbulls.

Not trying to insult your intelligence I just always like to be clear
about these things.

You have this device connected to a network adapter on your system via
a straight cable to a lan port on the device. You have link lights at
both ends. The network adapter on you pc is set for a static 192.168.15.x/24
with a gateway of 192.168.15.1, correct?

You try pinging the gateway 192.168.15.1/24 with just ping you get what error, please:

Let me know.

Also if you connect a phone to the Linksys RTP300 do you get any type of audio prompt. Like a
voice telling you the device isn't configured yet, or just silence? Silence might be a bad sign.

Brian Vagnoni
PGP Digital Fingerprint
F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD  BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955