JP Vossen on 22 Nov 2008 11:38:07 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: soldering on the motherboard

 > Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:10:29 -0500
 > From: Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com>
 >
 > I'm replacing the power connector on a friend's laptop motherboard.
 > I've never soldered on the motherboard (just stuff like radios and
 > speakers) and my concern is burning other stuff in the process.
 >
 > Any tips on motherboard soldering?

I'm pretty sure I'm a lot worse at this that the other guys who replied.
  I'm not a MIL anything and was "trained" by myself through trial and
error, mostly the latter.  So all I have to add is that Radio Shack
sells various little heat sinks that might help.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062756
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103242
http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=desolder

Someone will probably say they are unnecessary if you do it right.
Keywords, "if you do it right."  :-)  I like to use them when I can and
they fit.

Otherwise, what they said.
JP