JP Vossen on 23 Nov 2008 13:37:41 -0800

Re: [PLUG] finding duplicate files

> Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 21:15:45 -0500
> From: "Art Alexion" <art.alexion@gmail.com>
>
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 3:06 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
>> # Assumes a recent version of bash [for nested $()]
>
> This is kubuntu 8.04, which I understand uses dash instead of bash.
> Should I be OK?

You're fine.  (you should have gone to one my my presos on this topic.
Slides here: http://princessleia.com/plug/2008-JP_bash_vs_dash.pdf :)

*buntu > 6.06 use a symlink for /bin/sh --> /bin/dash (note dash),
instead of what every other Linux I know of uses, which is/was /bin/sh
--> /bin/bash (note bash).  This is for system startup speed, since dash
is lots smaller than bash and starts much faster, which is important
since booting Linux is really just running a gazillion shell scripts.

The default *end user shell* in /etc/passwd is still bash.  So it's only
when writing init scripts and/or things with a shebang line of
'#!/bin/sh' that you get dash instead of bash on certain versions of
certain Linux distros.

Later,
JP